In 1999, due to the reorganization of the public institutions operating in the cultural sector, the Quadriennale was transformed from an autonomous institution into a foundation.From 2001 it was chaired by Luigi Zanda. The role of general secretary was removed and Barbara Paccagnella became the general manager. After being appointed director of Rai, Zanda stepped down in 2002 and the role of chairman was assigned to the writer Gino Agnese.
The foundation’s Board of Directors launched the 14th Quadriennale with an exhibition programme divided into three separate events during the two-year period from 2003–2005. It ventured outside the capital for the first time, with two previews in Naples (2003) and Turin (2004) dedicated to young artists and a concluding all-round exhibition at the Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna (2005). The Roman exhibition, together with a core group of one hundred living artists, opened a window onto international art and also included two retrospectives devoted to the Quadriennali of 1931 and 1948.
In the meantime, in 2004, the foundation changed its headquarters and moved to the monumental Villa Carpegna complex. In the same year it organized the conference on ‘Art and Culture in the 1990s’ and resumed publication of the Journals of the Quadriennale.